How to Take ZYTIGA®
Taking Your ZYTIGA® Tablets
ZYTIGA® (abiraterone acetate) is an oral, once-daily medication that you can take at home. ZYTIGA® is a prescription medicine that is used along with prednisone.
It’s important to take ZYTIGA® + prednisone exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to and to stay on the treatment schedule recommended by your doctor to give ZYTIGA® the best opportunity to work.
Follow Your Doctor’s Instructions
Take ZYTIGA® tablets as a single dose one time a day on an empty stomach. Do not eat food 2 hours before and 1 hour after taking ZYTIGA®. Do not take ZYTIGA® with food. Taking ZYTIGA® with food may cause more of the medicine to be absorbed by the body than is needed and this may cause side effects. Your healthcare provider may change your dose, if needed.
Also, take your prednisone exactly how your healthcare provider tells you to. Do not change or stop taking your prescribed dose of ZYTIGA® or prednisone without talking with your healthcare provider first.
- It’s important to take your prescribed dose of ZYTIGA® tablets once daily
- Swallow ZYTIGA® tablets whole. Do not crush or chew tablets
- Take ZYTIGA® tablets with water
Take ZYTIGA® tablets as a single dose one time a day on an empty stomach. Do not eat food 2 hours before and 1 hour after taking ZYTIGA®
- Do not take ZYTIGA® with food. Taking ZYTIGA® with food may cause more of the medicine to be absorbed by the body than is needed and this may cause side effects
- While taking ZYTIGA®, you will also take prednisone
- Take your prednisone exactly how your doctor tells you. Do not change or stop taking your prescribed dose of ZYTIGA® or prednisone without talking to your doctor first
Taking Other Medications With ZYTIGA®
Tell your healthcare provider and your pharmacist about all the medicines you take or treatments you receive. It’s important to share information about any other medicines, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements you are taking.
ZYTIGA® can interact with many other medications.
You should not start or stop any medicine before you talk with the doctor who prescribed ZYTIGA®.
What If You Miss a Dose
If you ever miss a dose of ZYTIGA® or prednisone, take your prescribed dose the following day.
If you miss more than 1 dose of ZYTIGA® or prednisone, tell your doctor right away.
Tips to Help You Stay on Your Treatment Schedule
- It’s helpful to develop a system or plan to help you take your ZYTIGA® every single day with prednisone and plan ahead for refills.
- Be sure to plan ahead if you’re going on a trip and will need a refill of your medicine. It’s also a good idea to ask your friends or loved ones to help you keep track of your medications.
- Contact Janssen CarePath at 855-ZYTIGA-1 (855-998-4421) or create a Janssen CarePath account at MyJanssenCarePath.com to set up personalized prescription refill reminders. Talk to your doctor about developing a medication schedule that's right for you.